There is a myriad of different public and private animal related organizations in our area. Sometimes it is confusing as to which one can help you. We have provided the following list to assist you contacting the appropriate agency:

Animal Control: Butte County and all the cities incorporated in Butte County all have Animal Control Offices. They may have limited funding, therefore limited hours. Their main focus is on code enforcement. They can help you with licensing, loose animals, abused animals, aggressive animals, etc. They are the primary agency for all animal issues and should be the first place that you should call if you have any type of problem. Their numbers are:

Animal Control - Butte County: 891-2907, 538-7409

Animal Control - City of Chico: 897-4960

Animal Control - Oroville City: 533-7636

Animal Control - Paradise: 872-6275

Animal Shelters: There are several Animal Shelters in Butte County. Their main focus is the sheltering of stray animals and adoption support purposes. Their numbers are:

Chico, Chico Animal Shelter:  530-894-5630

Gridley/Biggs Animal Shelter: 846-5678 846-4825

Oroville City, Animal Enforcement-Shelter-Northwest-SPCA: 533-7636

Paradise Animal Control: 872-6275

Bidwell Wildlife Rehabilitation: 530-343-9004.  Bidwell Wildlife Rehabilitation is a permitted rehab group for small mammals, reptiles, birds and raptors.  For the counties of Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter and Yuba.

North Valley Animal Disaster Group: The North Valley Animal Disaster Group is not a government funded agency. There are no paid employees. We do not have a permanent Animal Shelter. Apart from our public education department, we only provide sheltering and evacuation services during a large disaster. To arrange a public education presentation, or for help during a large disaster, please contact our Hotline at: 895-0000

Additional miscellaneous contacts:

California Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) (800) 655-2862

California Animal Response Emergency System (CARES) (916) 651-6517

California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) (530) 225-2140

California Dept of Fish and Wildlife (916) 358-2900

Agricultural Commissioner (530) 891-2754

Butte Office of Emergency Services (530) 538-7373

American Humane Association (800) 227-4645

Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) (916) 344-1710

Promotion of Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) (530) 876-9774

Red Cross (Human assistance only!) (530) 891-0885

Contact Info


Send a general message
Choose a recipient

Mailing Address

PO Box 441
Chico, CA 95927-0441 USA


(530) 895-0000