Be ready to evacuate with your pets!
Have an evacuation plan for your family and your pets? Disasters can strike at any time. In our area we must be prepared to leave our homes at a moments notice. Do you have a list of the items you’d need?
The following list of recommended items has been developed to help you help your pets.
- Take your pet with you. If you must evacuate your house, do not leave your pet behind. Once the roadblocks go up you may not be allowed back into town. If it isn’t safe for you to stay, it isn’t safe for your pet either.
- Make a list of friends and relatives who could care for your pet for an extended period of time if you lose your home.
- Create a list of boarding facilities within a 100-mile radius of your home. Identify nearby hotels that accept pets and under what circumstances.
- Ask your local animal shelter if they have an evacuation plan for animals, and if they would be able to care for your specific type of pet during an emergency.
- Have your pet microchipped for easy identification.
- Place an out of the area emergency contact name and number, along with your own, on your pet’s ID tag.
- Pack a plastic crate or box with your pet’s leashes, extra ID tags, water, food, water/food bowls, medications, your pet’s health records, and a photo to prove ownership if you are separated. If possible keep a photo in your wallet.
- Have a portable carrier large enough for your pet to stand up in and turn around.
- Have an animal first aid kit.
- If you are away from home when a disaster strikes and the roads are closed, contact the North Valley Animal Disaster Group, 530-895-0000 for assistance evacuating your pet.
If you have exotic pets such as birds, lizards, snakes, etc., consider preparing the following items for evacuation:
- A carrier large enough to comfortably house the animal.
- Adequate food and water.
- Appropriate bedding for the specific type of animal.
- Covers for birdcages to keep them calm and protected.
- A hot water bottle or some type of non-electrical heating element ready to keep them warm.
- Exotic’s medical records and a means of identifying them.
- Place proper identification on all carriers and/or cages including pet information, your name, address, and contact numbers!
Important #’s: ________________________________________